Monday, November 11, 2019

Helping Or What?

The ferry docks at Roberts Point, Bruny Island.

The passengers drive off.

Or wheel their bicycles off.

Or fly off, if you count P. krameri, who wasn't a passenger.

Katherine stops in the car park. Gets out of her car, looks back at the mainland.

Lovely view!

Gaius and Arthur wheel their bicycles over to where she is standing.

I won't leave for my cheese tour until we've found Terence, says Katherine.

P. krameri will know where he is, says Gaius. Or at least the direction he and Jinjing went off in.

They've gone off? says Katherine.

They won't have gone far, says Gaius.

P. krameri is perched on the roof of Katherine's car.

They were heading towards the kiosk, says P. krameri.

I'll go, says Arthur. Look after the lerps.

Gladly, says P. krameri. I'll take the opportunity to sniff them.

What for? asks Arthur.

Never mind, says P. krameri. I wish I hadn't said it.

Okay, says Arthur. Anyone want anything from the kiosk?

Not me, says Gaius.

Arthur goes up to the kiosk.

He goes inside. He is not the first person to enter.

Several families are crowding in front of the counter.

Taking their time choosing snacks, drinks and lollies.

Arthur hears Terence's voice, rising.

No more Spew Balls!

But we can SEE the Spew Balls! says a child.

But you can't buy them, says Terence. Have some Snot Balls instead.

Dad! says the child. I don't want the Snot Balls.

Not much I can do, says Dad. This young man is in charge here. But he does seem a bit young to have so much responsibility.

What's going on? asks a man coming out from the back of the kiosk.

My daughter wants Spew Balls, says Dad, but this young fellow won't sell them.

I apologise, says the man. There appear to be plenty of Spew Balls. How many would you like?

One packet, says Dad.

He pays for the Spew Balls.

Thank you.

One happy family moves out.

Now what? says Terence. Am I still helping or what?

No, says the man. You can go now.

Not until you release my parrot, says Terence.

Arthur moves forward.

He's with me. Where's the parrot?

They broke into my kiosk early this morning, says the man. I locked up the parrot.

It's not a real parrot, says Arthur. It's our drone robot. We're a scientific wildlife research team.

With a parrot drone robot? says the man. What does he do?

He's our spotter, and he goes where no humans can go, says Arthur.

Does he? asks Terence.

If we ask him, says Arthur.

Well, I suppose I can release him to you, says the man. Just tell him, no more break-ins.

Sure, says Arthur. Release him. Come on, Terence, let's go.

Arthur turns and walks out of the kiosk, followed by Terence.

Jinjing remains locked up a bit longer.

Because the man needs to serve in his kiosk.

And he's just lost his helper.


No comments: