Saturday, November 9, 2019

Arrival And Shwooosh

That was a good trip, says Terence. When is it morning?

Soon, says Jinjing.

The ferry starts operating at six thirty, says P. krameri. Katherine will be here by seven.

And Arthur, says Jinjing.

And Gaius, says Terence. But I was the first one to get here.

Thanks to your star hum, says Jinjing.

Thanks to him stealing a dinghy, says P. krameri.

And my poem, says Terence.

It was short, for a poem, says Jinjing.

Four lines, says P. krameri. Did you repeat it?

No, says Terence. I just said it once.

It wasn't even finished, says Jinjing.

That's because I got here, says Terence. Let's go exploring.

We shouldn't go far off, says P. krameri.

You wait here and I'll go exploring with Jinging, says Terence.

Okay, says P. krameri. I'll wait in the dinghy.

Drag it up the beach a bit first, says Jinjing. We don't want it floating off again.

Help me to do it, says P. krameri.

They try. But it's harder than if it was still in the water.

Tie it to something, says Terence.

With the rope, says Jinjing.

It's too short, says P. krameri. Terence cut it.

Come with us then, says Jinjing. We'll keep coming back to check on it.

No, I'll stay here, says P. krameri.

Terence and Jinjing head along the beach to the ferry landing.

It looms in the darkness. Water clanks at the sides.

They plod up a track alongside it.

Look! A kiosk! With a dim light on.

And someone is moving inside.

.......

P. krameri lies in the dinghy, looking up at the stars.

He thinks about Terence's poem.

Show me the way, I deserve it.

How rude. Why should Terence think he's entitled?

What would I ask the stars if I were in his position?

Something in my own language, entreating.....

Je vous en prie, mes etoiles.
Montrez moi la voie.
Je suis desolé, desolé
Je perds la foi.

Yes, that's good.

Shwooooosh, a large wave advances.

The dinghy lifts up off the sand......


No comments: