Monday, November 18, 2019

Birds Of Least Concern

I see you have made the acquaintance of two Firetail Finches, says Gaius.

No, says Terence. These guys are called Beautifuls.

We can speak for ourselves, says the female. We prefer the name Beautiful Firetails.

Are you the one we seek? asks the male. The Striated Pardalote sent us.

Possibly, says Gaius. Or it may be Arthur. It depends what you think you've been offered.

Nothing specific, says the female Beautiful Firetail.

Perhaps you can help us find a forty spotted Pardalote, says Gaius. Do you know any?

Yes we do, says the male. We know one called Spotty.

The female suppresses a laugh.

They're lying, says Jinjing.

Interesting that they should do so, says Gaius.

You believe him? asks the female.

I do, says Gaius. He has an unerring nose for the truth.

Thank you, says Jinjing. And I have an unerring nose for when someone needs to change their bandage.

He is looking at Arthur.

Arthur looks down at his knee.

Go inside and soak off that bandage, says Jinjing.

It's okay, says Arthur.

I'll go in, says Gaius. I'll ask for a bowl of warm water.

He heads for the entrance to the café.

He meets Dad, coming out.

See you found your birds already, says Dad.

Those are not the birds we seek, says Gaius.

They look pretty colourful, says Dad. Red tail feathers. What are they?

Firetail Finches, says Gaius. They are resident birds, and considered LC.

LC? asks Dad, who is not a bird man.

Of Least Concern, says Gaius.

Bit insulting, says Dad. Anyway, let me give you a heads up. Don't ask for takeaway. The staff are mega grumpy.

Dear me, says Gaius. I was intending to ask for a bowl of warm water.

If I were you I wouldn't, says Dad.

Perhaps I'll get a cup of warm water from the toilets, says Gaius.

Not recommended, says Dad. And what for?

My colleague has a cut knee, and his bandage has stuck to the wound, says Gaius.

We have a first aid kit, says Dad. Bring your friend to the car. I'll fix him.

They walk over to where the Firetails are explaining to Arthur how they came to know Spotty.


No comments: