Saturday, November 16, 2019

We Have A Singular Nature

Gaius and Arthur cycle towards the northernmost point of North Bruny Island.

P. krameri flies above them.

My view is better than theirs, thinks P. krameri. I can see the whole island.

trees bushes flat grasslands a road like a ribbon........

rugged cliff edges white empty beaches blue sea.......

I should fly lower, thinks P. krameri. Closer to the eucalypt canopy.

He drops altitude.

The trees are not buzzing with birds.

Where are they? wonders P. krameri. Not even a parrot.

He flies over Gaius and Arthur, low enough to shout:

Going forward!

Since you're flying low, calls Gaius, look out for clumps of erigeron.

Okay! squawks P. krameri.

Still got a toothache? asks Arthur.

No, says Gaius. Just a preventative measure. How's that knee?

Don't know. Can't get the bandage off, says Arthur.

It must be stuck on with dried fluids, says Gaius. We'll see about that when we get to the café.

It'll drop off eventually, says Arthur.

Your leg? asks Gaius. Only joking.

Looks like P. krameri's found something, says Arthur.

They ride up to where P. krameri has landed.

He is talking to a striated pardalote, who has come out from a cup shaped nest of bark and grass built in a hollow log, some metres away from the road.

Aha! says Gaius. A striated pardalote. These are quite common.

Thanks for that, says the striated pardalote. But I should like to point out that each and every one of us has a singular nature.

Of course, says Gaius. I'm not disputing that. But your species, while similar to the forty spotted pardalote, is not endangered.

Don't blame us, says the striated pardalote. Just because we're better at it.

You've got on the wrong side of her, says P. krameri.

I have, says Gaius. Arthur, you try.

Okay, says Arthur. He bends down. His knee bleeds through the bandage.

That smells nasty, says the striated pardalote.

It's the bandage, not the wound, says Arthur. But thanks for noticing. You're obviously very observant.

Very good, Arthur, says Gaius. I see where you're going.

Arthur keeps going.

And we were wondering if you knew where we might find a clump of erigeron. My friend has a toothache.

I know that cure, says the striated pardalote. It doesn't work, I can tell you. But if you want erigeron, I suggest you go back to the Neck.

Thanks, says Arthur. We'll be going back that way after we've finished our mission.

Which is? asks the striated pardalote.

To locate as many forty spotted pardalotes as we can, says Arthur.

What for? asks the striated pardalote.

To put them in cages and breed them, says Arthur.

No kidding? says the striated pardalote. Well, I might be able to help you.

Great, says Arthur. We're heading for the Jetty Café. If you see any, send them up there.

I might, says the striated pardalote. But it's up to them really. And I'd have to lie, wouldn't I.

Think about it, says Arthur. Even less competition.

He can see that that she's thinking about it.

She pops back into her cup shaped nest, to continue thinking.

Arthur, says Gaius. I can't approve of your methods.

Ends and means, says Arthur. It may not work anyway.

Thank you, says P. krameri.

What for? asks Gaius. Oh I see. You found her. Thank you P. krameri.

No comments: