Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Hands Off My Spew Balls!

Car park, ferry landing, Bruny Island.

Guess what? says Terence. I had an adventure.

So did I, says P. krameri. The dinghy drifted off.

Why aren't you in it? asks Terence.

I'm different from you, says P. krameri.

Yes, says Terence. I'd still be in it. Where would I be?

Out there, says Gaius, pointing at the dinghy, which is still visible, although tiny.

So I did the right thing, says Terence. Want to hear my adventure?

Yes, says Katherine. But where is Jinjing?

Coming, says Arthur.

He got locked up and I didn't, says Terence. This is what happened. We climbed up to the kiosk in the dark and we looked through the front window and Jinjing said there's someone inside maybe they know when the ferry's arriving so we went in...

You went in? says Katherine. How?

Through a hole, says Terence.

What sort of hole? asks Gaius.

Just a hole, says Terence. And when we were inside Jinjing said Look, Spew Balls. That's two diphthongs. Sp-y-ou  and b-aa-lls. And I said Did I ask you about diphthongs? and he said No, I just thought you'd like to know and I said I wouldn't, and then the man came out and said WHO ARE YOU?

This is exciting, says Gaius.

It was, says Terence. The man seized me and said HANDS OFF MY SPEW BALLS! and Jinjing said NOT HIM!  I'm the ringleader!  And the man said Okay I'm going to lock you up in the back room until the rush is over, and this boy can help me serve in the kiosk and after that you can go and we'll forget it.

Sounds reasonable enough, says Gaius. And that was good of Jinjing.

It was good of ME, says Terence. I served in the kiosk. And I was going to ask the man if I could have a packet of Spew Balls but every kid wanted Spew Balls and they were nearly all gone, and I said NO MORE SPEW BALLS but I got into trouble for saying it.

I see, says Gaius. I don't suppose you could go back, Arthur, and see if there are any packets of these so-called Spew Balls remaining?

No need, says Arthur, producing a packet from his shorts pocket.

Spew Balls. Hooray!

And now here comes Jinjing with a packet of something swinging from his beak.

He drops it.

More Spew Balls!

The man gave me these, says Jinjing.

This could be Terence's best day ever.

No comments: