Friday, February 17, 2023

A Moth Passes

What next? asks David.

A month passes, says Vello. Perhaps we need some sort of sign.

Me and Hadley'll make it, says Terence.

Excellent, says Vello. There'll be a card and coloured pens in the store room.

I'll take them to the store room, says Belle. 

Belle, Terence and Hedley go to the store room.

A month passes, says David. So this is the scene where we leave Eldorado.

Not yet, says Vello. We must have a scene where you and Candide tell the king why you're going.

Pity Pierre-Louis isn't here, says David. I wonder what's keeping him?

Arthur will continue, says Vello. But no more soy sauce jokes. Begin.

You're going? says Arthur (the king).

Yes, your majesty, says Sweezus (Candide).

Are you unhappy here? asks Arthur (the king).

We are restless spirits, says Sweezus. I must continue my search for Lady Cunégonde. I can never be happy without her.

All we ask, says David (Cacambo), is several sheep loaded with food, and a few of the stones of your country.

It puzzles me why you value our stones, says Arthur. But if you are set on leaving, I will order our engineers to make a machine for hoisting you out of Eldorado.

Da-dah! says Vello. Very good Arthur. I've a good mind to cast you as the king and do without Pierre-Louis.

Yes! Why not? says Belle, coming out of the store room. Audiences love Arthur.

Do they? says Arthur.

You know they do, says Belle. Remember when you played Costa a few years ago?

Yeah, says Sweezus. You were heaps popular.

Okay, says Arthur. I'll do it.

The door opens. Pierre-Louis come in.

Sorry I'm late. I have something to tell you, says Pierre-Louis. And you may not like it.

Spit it out, says Vello.

I'm unable to play the king, says Pierre-Louis, because I'm putting on my own one man show. 

Good of you to tell us, says Vello. What is it?

How The Principle of Least Action Made Me What I Am, says Pierre-Louis. I perform it on a bicycle.

Good luck with that, says Vello.

On a bicycle? says David. How will that work?

You see? says Pierre-Louis. You find it intriguing. 

David might, but I don't, says Vello. You could have told us before. But I suppose Least Action forbids it.

Don't mind him, says Belle. Good luck with your show. Arthur will play the king. He already made up a great sauce joke.

Soy sauce, says Arthur, in the sauce voice.

Sweezus cracks up.

Of course, Pierre-Louis doesn't get it.

Terence and Hedley come out of the store room. The sign is finished.

It reads, mysteriously: A MOTH PASSES.

No comments: