Monday, February 6, 2023

The More Scientific Person

 Katherine looks for her old electric drill.

She can't find it.

Damn! says Katherine. I lent it to Margaret. I'll call her.

Don't call her, says Sweezus.

Too late. Katherine has called Margaret.

Margaret, do you still have my drill? Yes, the electric one. Do you? Oh good. We'll drop round on our way to David's work. What? I'm helping Sweezus and Arthur assemble a prop. See you soon, dear.

They go out to Katherine's car, and get in. 

She starts the engine. Weeeeurrr.

Sounds bad, says Sweezus.

Really bad, says Arthur.

It's perfectly all right, the garage man assures me, says Katherine.

They drive round to Margaret's. She is standing outside with the drill.

Here you are, says Margaret. I'm sorry. I've kept it for ages.

Never mind, says Katherine. You're returning it now.

What's the prop? asks Margaret.

A scientific machine, says Katherine. 

You are not very scientific, says Margaret.

What are you implying? asks Katherine.

Nothing, says Margaret. Only that I am a more scientific person.

You are a geographer, says Katherine. But I suppose you can help if you like.

Margaret is about to get in the back seat with Arthur.

There won't be room, says Arthur. We're picking up the stuff from the office, then we're taking it somewhere to put it together.

I'll meet you there, says Margaret. Where is it?

Gaius's, says Arthur.

Margaret's eyes light up.

Perhaps we should warn him, says Katherine.

No, don't warn him, says Margaret. It'll be a surprise.

......

It is a surprise.

Gaius opens his front door expecting it to be Sweezus, Arthur, Katherine and the parts of a scientific machine.

Instead it is Margaret.

Margaret! says Gaius. To what do I owe...?

Am I the first? asks Margaret. I've come to help build the machine.

You are the first, says Gaius. How are you, these days?

Oh, you know, says Margaret. Mustn't grumble.

About what? asks Gaius.

The terrible state of the world, says Margaret. 

One can only do so much, says Gaius. 

True, says Margaret. Are you going to let me come in?

Of course, says Gaius. Do come in.

Margaret follows Gaius into the kitchen.

Terence is perched on a high bench, shouting Hola! Hola! and wafting his toes.

Hello, Terence, says Margaret. What are you doing?

Kicking footballs, says Terence. And drying my toes.

One of his toes came off earlier, says Gaius. I've mended it with fish glue.

Let me see, says Margaret. Good heavens! Why has he got six toes?

This one's a pebble, says Terence. And this one's my toe. I only wanted the pebble but Gaius said I had to have my real toe underneath.

Gaius, says Margaret. What were you thinking?

It's a way to protect the real toe, says Gaius.

But... begins Margaret. 

The doorbell rings, Gaius hurries to open the door, and Margaret reserves her objection.


No comments: