Tuesday, June 19, 2012

All About Limestones

Gaius and Margaret settled into their seats on the plane.

They were on their way home. It had been rather hectic, the last bit of the journey. There had been a series of unfortunate events.

They had gone to the wrong terminal and had to catch a shuttle back to Terminal Two. This made them late. Then there had been a problem with printing the boarding passes. And they had been directed onto a mystery bus. They hadn't known where it was going. It had been very confusing.

But now, here they were, on the plane.

Phew! said Margaret. We made it! Are you alright, Ouvert dear? 

Ouvert had never been worried. He was safe inside Margaret's new bag. It smelled nice in there. So did he. The sardine smell had vanished away. He settled down to read. He had a new book, Illuminations, by Arthur Rimbaud.

Ouvert! said Margaret. Answer me!  But Ouvert was intent on his reading.

Margaret looked inside her bag. All seemed to be well. She took out a Sudoku puzzle, and a pencil.

I don't suppose you want to know if I'm alright? said Gaius.

Are you? asked Margaret.

Yes, said Gaius. I'm alright, thank you. I'm reading a book about limestone.

How very interesting said Margaret. My little Ouvert is a limestone.

I know, said Gaius. Did you know that if you spill acid on limestone it will dissolve?

Of course I know that, said Margaret. I'm a field geologist, remember. But why do you ....GAIUS!

Keep your hair on, said Gaius.

..........

Baby Pierre was not happy. He was inside the Room of One's Own, in the overhead baggage compartment. No one knew he was there. It was dark and it smelled of sardines, with a undertone of something else, what could it be?

Baby Pierre was not one to put up with bad smells.

No comments: