Monday, June 25, 2012

Be Careful What You Wish For

Gaius returned home with his dirty washing. What to do with it?

He dropped the canvas bag on the floor in the laundry. He would deal with it later. Better still, perhaps someone would wash it.

Baby Pierre and Ouvert scrambled out of the bag and crossed the floor to the kitchen sink. Then they climbed up to the window sill.

I'm back! announced Baby Pierre.

Baby Pierre! screamed Lavender. You're back! Did you miss me?

No, said Baby Pierre. Hello, Aunty Kobo.

Hello Baby Pierre, said Kobo. How did you enjoy Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man?

Boring, said Baby Pierre. I didn't know Joyce was religious.

I see you stopped in the middle, said Kobo. So what did you read instead?

La Princesse de Babylone, said Baby Pierre. But it got wet.

Don't tell me you didn't finish that either? said Kobo.

It wasn't his fault, piped up Ouvert.

Who's that? asked Kobo.

Yes, who's that? asked Lavender, peering at Ouvert. He's got TWO mouths. Weird!

Ouvert, said Ouvert. I'm Baby Pierre's new friend. I'm from La Rochelle.

And what are you reading? asked Kobo.

Illuminations, said Ouvert. But I've lost it.

Really! You boys! said Kobo. How far had you got?

Page fifteen, said Ouvert. And there weren't enough stones.

If stones were the only pleasant subject, said Kobo, we wouldn't have much to read.

I wanted to read it, said Baby Pierre.

And I wanted to finish it, said Ouvert.

Good for you, said Kobo.

But now I can't, said Baby Pierre, looking sad.

Nor can I, said Ouvert, looking equally sad.

They don't care at all! said Lavender. They're just pretending Aunty Kobo.

So you'd like more of Rimbaud? said Kobo. Be careful what you wish for, you two.






















No comments: