Saturday, June 16, 2012

Brief Encounter

For Gaius and Margaret too, it was time to go home. The next day they caught the fast train from La Rochelle to Paris.

Ouvert was safely tucked inside Margaret's bag.

The train had been going for hours. Ouvert clambered out of the bag.

I'm going for a stroll down the train, said Ouvert.

Don't get lost, sweetheart, said Margaret.

Gaius looked sour.

I concur with word two and word three, he said.

Huh? said Ouvert. And he rolled down the aisle, leaving behind him a faint smell of sardines.

Baby Pierre was in the next carriage, with a seat to himself.

Ouvert trundled past. Baby Pierre sniffed the air loudly.

What's up? said Ouvert. Are you sniffing at me?

Yes, I am, said Baby Pierre. You don't smell like a stone.

That isn't my fault said Ouvert. I fell into a plate of sardines.

Baby Pierre looked surprised.

Where are you going? asked Baby Pierre.

To the toilet, said Ouvert.

I mean after? said Baby Pierre.

To Paris, Montmartre, said Ouvert. Hey, do I know you?

No, said Baby Pierre.










No comments: