Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Two Ways Of Looking At Ghosts

Gaius and Arthur have arrived in New Norfolk. It is not yet dark.

Good, says Gaius. It's not dark yet. Now to find Betty King. Will you come with me?

All right, says Arthur.

They follow the Back River Road to the Methodist Cemetery, and look for the grave.

They find it, next to a fence. The grass around it is pale green. The hills in the distance are darkening.

Betty King, reads Arthur. Laid to rest near this spot.

Near this spot, says Gaius. You know what that means.

She's not here, says Arthur.

Exactly, says Gaius. How disappointing.

I've got cakes, says Arthur. Want one?

A cold shiver passes through the soles of Gaius's feet.

No, says Gaius. It'll be dark soon. Let's go now.

They turn away from the grave of Betty King and pick up their bicycles.

.......

An hour later, Schopenhauer and Unni arrive in New Norfolk. It is already dark.

It's dark now, says Unni. Do you still want to?

Yes, says Schopenhauer. Unless you're afraid.

Me? scoffs Unni. I'm not scared of anything.

They follow the Back River Road to the Methodist Cemetery, and look for the grave.

They find it next to a fence. Schopenhauer swings the Platonic Ideal round sideways and flicks on his Knog light, in order to read the inscription.

Elizabeth Thackery King, reads Unni. Arrived First Fleet 1788.... and wow, she was ninety three years old when she died....

Laid to rest near this spot, says Schopenhauer. That means.....

Suddenly a shivering breeze runs through the grass like an electrical current passing through the soles of his feet. The Knog light goes out.

Yikes! says Unni.

I'm over there in the corner, whispers a voice from the shivering grass.

Did you hear that? says Unni. A woman's voice. She's over there in the corner.

Schopenhauer makes his way to the corner, his feet tingling

Are you there? he says, softly.

No, says the voice.

Don't play games, says Schopenhauer. I can hear you quite well in this corner.

Please yourself, says the voice. Shall I tell you my story?

All right, says Schopenhauer. But I must warn you I am a philosopher. I believe that, as individuals, death is the end of us. But the real or noumenal part of us cannot die. Our real being knows neither time nor beginning nor end. The immortal part of us is indestructible.....

I haven't got all night, says Betty King.

What are you saying about the afterlife? says Unni. That there isn't one as such?

Yes, says Schopenhauer. Not as such. Certainly not as a continuation of our mortal selves.

I'm just an old woman, says Betty.

No, says Schopenhauer. That's exactly my point . You are no longer an old woman.

I was a convict, says Betty. I stole five handkerchiefs. Two black silk ones and three other ones. I was the first white woman to set foot in Australia. Only twenty years old, I was then.

All quite meaningless, says Schopenhauer.

You can be an insensitive shit sometimes, says Unni.

Betty King fades back into the gloom. She knows perfectly well what she is.

No comments: