Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Zippy Nobby

English? says Belle. What did it say?

Curtain, says Terence.

Fascinating, says Vello. If true.

He leans into the bush, as though listening.

The bush remains silent, but emits a faint scent that reminds him of something.

Get down here and sniff, David, says Vello. Remind you of anything?

Stew, says David. Or rather, a bouquet garni.

That's not what it reminds me of, says Vello. But then perhaps you have never been offered a crown of laurels.

I have indeed, says David. Many a time. In Paris particularly, where they all loved me.

Are you a laurel? asks Vello, addressing the bush directly.

The bush says nothing. But it wonders.

Terence wants the bush to say something the grown ups can hear clearly.

ARE YOU? asks Terence.

The bush hesitates: What was the question?

Are you a lorry? says Terence. It was a STUPID question.

Why? whispers the bush.

You mean What? says Terence. A lorry is a truck. And you're not one. Can you say NO, loudly?

No, whispers the bush.

Terence gives up, temporarily.

It's not a lorry, says Terence. It told me but it won't tell you because it's a stupid question.

It wasn't a stupid question, says Vello.

Perhaps it didn't hear the question, says Belle.

It didn't, says Terence. I had to ask it if it was a lorry.

There, says Belle. That is the wrong question. Let me ask it a question.

She stoops, and presses her face to the quivering leafage.

Bush dear, how are you feeling?

The bush is feeling better, having been watered with water straight from the wetlands.

I understand, the bush whispers.

Are you by any chance a laurel? asks Belle. Papa was asking.

I understand, says the bush once again.

Understand what? asks Belle.

Confusion, says the bush.

I know, says Belle, sympathetically.

Are you a lorry? asks Terence.

No, it isn't, says Belle. You know that. Be quiet, Terence. It's trying to tell us something.

The bush makes an effort.

None of us have names, says the bush. We just are.

Oh, says Belle. It has no need of a name. I guess no plants do.

But if I'm to be a curtain in your play, says the bush, I will probably need one.

What name would you like? asks Belle.

The bush thinks:

Lorry? Stew? Curtain?

What was that other name? Grandpa?

It's about to say that it might go with Stew, which sounds zippy.

I know! Let's call you Nobby! says Terence.

Oh yes! Nobby is even more zippy.


No comments: