Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Woop I Was Lucky And So Was She

What are you boys doing? asks Captain Bruni.

He can see what they're doing.

Dropping things from the top of the Lighthouse.

An experiment, says Jerry.

Dropping Spew Balls, says Terence.

What are they doing? asks Mum.

A experiment, they claim, says Captain Bruni. Perhaps you should stop them.

Jerry! says Mum. I thought you had run out of Spew Balls.

I had two left, says Jerry. I was saving them for the Lighthouse.

What's going on now? says Dad.

Jerry and Terence have been dropping Spew Balls through the railing, says Mum. But they've run out, thank goodness.

Just as well, says Dad. A falling Spew Ball could turn out to be a lethal weapon if it hit someone directly.

Woop! says Terence.

Terence, says Mum. I didn't expect you to be flippant.

What's flippant? asks Terence.

Disrespectful, says Mum.

I wasn't disrespectful, says Terence. I meant woop I was lucky. And woop so was the other person.

What other person? asks Mum.

The person down there, says Terence. I was thinking about dropping my steak knife

A deadly experiment, says Dad.

Thank you, says Terence.

But Dad looks disapproving. So does Mum. So does Captain Bruni.

Captain Hawkins has no idea that a steak knife has nearly been dropped from the top of the Lighthouse.

He continues to explain to the tourists how the light works and why it was needed. Then why it is needed no more.

But trouble is brewing.

A tourist who has not climbed the circular staircase due to health issues has only narrowly avoided being hit by the falling Spew Balls.

She is waiting downstairs.

The tourists begin descending.

Who did it?

She would not be surprised if it was those two boys who went up the stairs first.

But you can't just assume these things. She will complain to Captain Hawkins.

Captain Hawkins comes down the stairs last.

She approaches Captain Hawkins.

Captain, I have a complaint to make.

Yes, madam, says Captain Hawkins. What is it?

A person or persons threw these two sweeties down from the balcony and I was almost hit, first by one, then the other, says she.

But you weren't? says Captain Hawkins.

That is not the point, says the woman.

You would not say that if you had been hit, says Captain Hawkins.

I might not be here at all! says the woman.

Dad comes up.

Apologies, ma'am, our son and his friend were doing an ill-thought out experiment. They've been told off severely.

Humph! says the woman. All right. I'll withdraw my complaint. But let there not be a next time.

There will not be a next time, says Dad. I assure you.

He holds out a hand to the woman.

She shakes it.

A good outcome.

We can all be assured there will not be a next time.

She's keeping the Spew Balls.


No comments: