Monday, July 19, 2021

Head Gruesome

The Tour de France is over.

Vello has invited everyone to Café Procope for coffee and cakes.

This brings back memories, says Vello. There was a time I'd drink forty cups of coffee a day.

No wonder you were so inventive, says Belle.

A large plate of cakes arrives at the table.

Ahh, says Marcel, taking a madeleine. This too beings back memories. My aunt....

Never mind memories, says David. Where's the coffee?

Where's my red drink? asks Terence.

Coming, says Belle. And keep your hands off the cakes.

Okay, says Terence. What if I use my foot?

Very funny, little buddy, says Sweezus.

So, says Vello. What are everyone's plans? David and I are going to Ferney, to enjoy the rest of the summer.

We'll be returning to Brittany, says Saint Arnoc.

Can I come? asks Terence. 

Whatever for? asks Belle.

To look for Saint Roley's brother, says Terence.

No way, says Belle. Do you have plans, Gaius?

I do, says Gaius. I shall return to Adelaide to do some research on the sea slug.

How interesting, says Belle. Which sea slug?

The elysia coodgeensis, says Gaius. 

Any particular reason? asks Vello.

Because, says Gaius, new research has shown that the elysia marginata can discard its body and grow a new one. I wish to determine whether elysia coodgeensis can do the same.

Hey, says Sweezus. What's left if it discards its whole body?

The head, says Arthur.

I get that, says Sweezus. Just saying, it's gruesome. The head grows a new body.

It is quite remarkable, says Gaius. 

Well, good luck getting home, says David. I hear they've introduced level four restrictions.

We have sea slugs in Brittany, says Saint Arnoc. You are welcome to start your research there with us if you like.

Any slugs of the family elysia? asks Gaius.

I only know of the celtic sea slug, says Saint Arnoc.

That may be a nudibranch, says Gaius. Different family.

Are you going to cut off its head? asks Terence.

No, says Gaius. It does that itself, while we observe it.

But why does it do it? asks Terence.

It will only do it if its body is infected with copepods, says Gaius.

Everyone looks at the cakes.

But nobody takes one.


No comments: