Saturday, July 17, 2021

Stage 20: Libourne Time Trials - Reluctant

Today it's a time trial.

The members of Team Condor go early.

So do the members of Team Philosophe.

This is because in spite of mild cheating, they have won no points whatsoever.

At least this means they have some time free.

David wheels his bicycle up to Pablo, who is talking to Terence and Belle.

Do you have a minute? asks David.

If I had ten less minutes, says Pablo, I'd be in with a chance.

That's what I want to talk to you about, says David.

Too late now, says Pablo.

Never mind, says Belle.

You're all losers, says Terence.

The others ignore him.

About poetry, says David. I'm having trouble getting started.

Ah, says Pablo. First think of a subject.

I've got that far, says David. The kakapo.

Kakapo! laughs Terence. I've got a poem.

You can't have, says Belle.

Yes I have, says Terence. A kakapo has died. I buried it under a wheelbarrow. It's not going anywhere.

That's awful, says Belle.

I've heard it before, says Pablo. Only last time it was a dog. 

Your dog, says Terence.

Come with me, says Belle. We'll watch the other riders go down the ramp.

She takes Terence away.

The key is, says Pablo, to make it a love story.

A kakapo love story, says David. Do you have any idea how they mate?

No, says Pablo. I was thinking of something more personal.

Me and a kakapo? says David.

You could try another subject, says Pablo. Do you have a lady friend?

I'm very popular with the ladies, says David. But at the same time, somewhat reluctant.

Think of your last lady friend, says Pablo.

No, says David. I'll stick with the kakapo. I've come up with a long list of rhymes.

This might take longer than we have time for.

The last rider of the day has set off.

The last rider is Tadej Pogacar.

He does not have to beat the super fast time of Wout van Aert. Nor the second best super fast time of Kasper Asgreen. nor even the third most super fast time of Jonas Vingegaard, even though Vingegaard is his main rival.

All he needs to do is what he does do.

Come eighth. 

Thereby winning the Tour.


No comments: