Sunday, July 11, 2021

Stage 15: Céret to Andorre-la-Vielle - Cruel

 A tough stage, in the Pyrenees, with four difficult climbs, and a downhill finish.

Team Condor are taking it easy.

Team Philosophe ride up behind them.

Giving up boys? asks Vello.

No way, says Sweezus. 

So why are you cycling so slowly? asks David.

Didn't think we were, says Sweezus.

It's because we are also having a poetry competition, says Pablo.

I see, says David. And who is winning?

No one yet, says Sweezus. It'll probably be Arthur or Pablo.

Don't sell yourself short, says Gaius.

Is yours finished? asks Vello.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Wanna hear it?

We don't really have time, says Vello.

We'll all speed up, says Sweezus. Okay, listen:

Don't ask me why
I want to be
King of the Mountain
I don't know myself
It's a goal I set early
When it seemed a great thing
To win points.

That won't be the winner, says Vello.

It made me feel better, says Sweezus. 

Me too, says Pablo.

Because you'll be the winner, says Arthur.

Unless it's you, says Pablo. 

Team Philosophe lose interest, and start pedalling up the Col de Beixalis.

That is cruel. They didn't wait to hear ours, says Pablo.

Is yours finished? asks Sweezus.

Mine is, says Arthur. This is it:

I am the road
Spotted with small electric moons
Mingling with flowers
And gnarled trees with black scent
A kiss slowly rising.

Awesome, says Sweezus. How'd you come up with that?

Recycling, says Arthur.

Ha ha, laughs Pablo. This is mine:

If I could be in two places
I would stand beside you
as your graceful arm 
extends to me the gift of nut bars
and fruit-flavoured water. 
I would watch your face 
and note your expression
as I pedal away.
Do you love me?
Perhaps you don't know.


Yeah? Who's that about? asks Sweezus.

Way up ahead (and down), Sepp Kuss rides to victory in Andorra.


No comments: