Sunday, March 20, 2022

Allow Us Our Illusions

 Okay, says Terence. Let's find the frogs.

We want to spend more time with our mother, say the eggs.

You have to be where I am, says Terence. Or I'll get into trouble from Gaius.

You will anyway, says Roo-kai.

Not if I stay with the eggs, says Terence.

Okay, say the eggs. Goodbye mother.

She's not your mother, says Terence. 

Allow us our illusions, say the eggs.

Gaius comes up behind them with the newly printed photo.

I thought I told you to stay with the birds' eggs, says Gaius. And what did I find? The glass case propped open with a folded antimacassar, two eggs missing and no sign of you or Roo-Kai.

I HAVE stayed with the birds' eggs, says Terence. See?

You must have known what I meant, says Gaius. We'll return the eggs before Stanley discovers they're missing. 

They want to see the rest of the museum, says Terence. This is their chance.

Just a quick tour then, says Gaius. Give them to me. I fear you will break them.

Yay! says Terence. 

The eggs say nothing.

Gaius takes the eggs and gives Terence the photo.

Good photo! says Terence. The frogs will like it.

Where are they? asks Gaius.

They were coming here to see the stuffed golden brush-tailed possum, says Roo-kai. But they've gone.

Dear me, says Gaius. They could be anywhere.

Ask our mother, say the eggs. She was watching.

Mother? says Gaius. Do you mean her?

He indicates the stuffed magpie.

Yes, say the eggs. We are magpie eggs and she is our mother.

They think, says Terence.

Gaius looks at the mother magpie. She looks down at the stuffed golden brush-tailed possum.

See that? say the eggs. Mother says the possum can tell us.

Wishful thinking, says Gaius.

Its tail might be telling us, says Terence. 

As in pointing in the right direction? says Gaius.

Yes, says Terence. You're smart.

There re two ways out of this room, says Gaius, and the tail points to that one. We shall take it on trust.

They exit the room.

Mother magpie continues to look at the possum.


No comments: