Monday, March 28, 2022

To Keep My Head Dry

Sweezus is driving the camper.

He turns on the wipers. Freakin' rain.

Where's my parrot? asks Terence.

Probably flying overhead, says Sweezus. Or sitting in a tree keeping dry.

Arthur looks out of the window.

I see him, says Arthur. 

Stop! says Terence. Let him in!

Sweezus stops. Arthur opens his window. 

Roo-kai swoops in.

Merde! says Arthur. 

I was waiting for the chance, says Roo-kai. 

You're dripping wet, says Arthur. Get in the back with Terence.

Yes, says Terence. You can sit next to me.

He moves his square of bubble wrap so Roo-kai can sit on it.

Pop pop pop.

What was that? asks Roo-kai.

Your bottom, says Terence.

Roo-kai looks down. Very funny.

Where are we going? asks Roo-kai.

Port Macquarie, says Sweezus.

Where are the frogs? asks Roo-kai.

With Gaius and Ludwig, says Arthur. They're pushing through to Grafton.

To go night hunting, says Terence. It's not fair.

It's all good, says Sweezus. Terence can't go night hunting. But now you're here, you can entertain him while Arthur and I get in a few hours of surfing.

In this rain? asks Roo-kai.

Sure, says Sweezus. Rain never hurt anyone.

If you say so, says Roo-kai.

What will we do? asks Terence.

Up to you, says Sweezus. 

Arthur looks up things for kids to do in Port Macquarie, on his phone.

Billabong Zoo, says Arthur. A major breeding centre for koalas.

Yuck, says Terence. 

They also have a lion and a cheetah, says Arthur. And a hairy-nosed wombat and a black-handed spider monkey. 

Can I take my bubble wrap? asks Terence.

What for? asks Sweezus.

But Terence knows Sweezus won't think handing bubble wrap to a black-handed spider monkey and watching him pop it will be all that funny.

To keep my head dry, says Terence.


No comments: