Wednesday, March 9, 2022

In The Shiny Silver

Terence slides open the door of the camper.

Roo-Kai!

Roo-kai, who is sitting in Wittgenstein's Mazda, ignores him.

Roo-Kai! My parrot!

Roo-kai has been considering his position.

Perhaps it's time to go solo.

Roo-kai!

Roo-kai eases himself through the window of the Mazda.

He flies over to Terence at the door of the camper.

Guess what? says Terence. I found it!

My medal? Where was it? asks Roo-kai.

Under the water, says Terence. Under the tree  Under me.

Roo-kai tries to picture the scenario. 

Come in, says Terence. We're working out plans.

Roo-kai goes in.

Where were you? asks Gaius. We were worried.

In the Mazda, says Roo-kai.

How did you get in? asks Wittgenstein.

Through the window, says Roo-kai. You left it open.

I hope you shut it, says Wittgenstein.

What with? asks Roo-kai.

Is it still open? asks Wittgenstein. 

YES! says Terence. That's how he got out!

Wittgenstein dashes out of the camper and across to the Mazda.

He opens the door. 

Water flows out.

And several dead frogs.

Damn bird, says Wittgenstein, gathering the frogs.

He closes the window, and returns to the camper.

Full of water! he grumbles. And dead frogs. I hope I'm covered.

Can you still drive it? asks Gaius.

I think so, says Wittgenstein. 

Dead frogs! says Gaius. Interesting.

Let's see, says Coralie. 

Let ME see, says Terence.

They are dead frogs alright. Brown and shrivelled. 

They didn't die in the rain, says Coralie. Looks like chytrid fungus.

All too common, says Gaius. 

Where are MY frogs? asks Terence.

Here, says Tilly. In the corn chip packet.

Here we are! shouts Quiet-Tartus. In the shiny silver!

They were shivering, says Tilly. It's like a foil blanket.

Hey! says Sweezus, I've been eating those corn chips. How come no one told me the frogs were inside?

I'm sure you'd have noticed the difference, says Gaius.

Not funny, says Sweezus.


No comments: