Sunday, March 6, 2022

Drowned Looking

Tilly! says Coralie. What on earth are you doing out here?

Helping Terence look for his medal, says Tilly.

Mission aborted! says Coralie.

Okay, says Tilly. Bye Terence.

We can all go back together, says Coralie.

Not me, says Arthur. 

Arthur, says Coralie. Gaius said you were reliable.

I am reliable, says Arthur.

Me too, says Terence.

At least Terence is coming, says Coralie. Look at the poor little fellow.

Terence is up to the top of his legs now, in water.

His gecko shorts are ballooning.

I don't want to, says Terence. I'm staying with Arthur.

We'll take the frogs back, says Tilly. Where are they?

Up here! shouts Quiet-Tartus, from a branch of a Bunya.

We saw a snake! shouts Shorty-Tartus.

It won't hurt you, says Coralie. Jump down into my umbrella.

Woo! says Terence. Do it!

They jump. Boing!

It would have been fun, in other circumstances.

Last chance, says Coralie, turning.

We'll take the frogs back to Gaius, says Tilly. And we'll tell him you died looking for a medal that wasn't even yours.

I haven't died, says Terence.

But you're drowning, says Tilly.

Come on Tilly, says Coralie. Put these on.

She whips out a pair of small waders.

Tilly steps into them

The frogs are transferred to Tilly's umbrella, and they head off under Coralie's umbrella.

I'm drowning, says Terence.

You can't drown, says Arthur. Remember Lake Geneva.

Terence remembers. The fish, staring.

Get up in that tree, says Arthur. I'll look around a bit.

Can't, says Terence.

Arthur lifts him up to the branch recently vacated by the Tarti.

This is like a horse, says Terence. Hey! I saw something shiny.

Where? asks Arthur.

Under me, says Terence. In the water.

Arthur sees it. 

He picks up the medal.


No comments: