Thursday, November 3, 2022

Good Like An Actor

 Arthur! shouts Pierre Louis. Slow down! I need to catch up!

Arthur slows down a little. 

Pierre-Louis catches up.

You went off without the frogs, says Pierre-Louis.

I know, says Arthur. I'd done enough waiting. Did you bring them?

One, says Pierre-Louis.

Only one? says Arthur. How come?

And it's not even the right one, says Pierre-Louis. 

Let's see, says Arthur.

Pierre-Louis takes one hand off the handlebars of his bike.

Revealing the rana.

What happened? asks Arthur.

I rode off in a hurry, says Pierre-Louis. I didn't want Belle to see what it was.

That makes no sense, says Arthur.

To see EXACTLY what it was, says Pierre-Louis. Of course I wanted her to see that it was a frog,

One frog, says Arthur.

And I gave her to understand I had another one, says Pierre-Louis.

He was very good, says the rana. Just like an actor.

Okay, says Arthur. I get it. The frogs Gaius wants me to bring back to Australia are missing. And we've got this..... what?

Rana temporania, says the rana. With a penchant for travel.

How about that? says Pierre-Louis

Okay, bring it to Paris, says Arthur. But not to Australia.

Aw, says the rana.

As if Gaius would be fooled by a rana temporania, says Arthur.

Well, it certainly isn't my problem, says Pierre-Louis.

Excuse me, says the rana. Are we cycling all the way to Paris?

Of course not, says Pierre-Louis. We'll be catching the train.

Good, says the rana. Because I can't see myself going all the way to Paris wrapped round a handlebar.

It was your decision to come, says Pierre-Louis. Get used to a bit of discomfort

You're not good with frogs, says Arthur,

And you are? says Pierre-Louis. 

Arthur thinks he is better with frogs than Pierre-Louis. 

Give it here, says Arthur.

Pierre-Louis detaches the rana from his handlebar, and hands it to Arthur.

Arthur shoves the rana into his pocket.

Next to a cold potato fritter.


No comments: