Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Try To Stay On

The taxi driver drops them at the Charles de Gaulle airport.

Pierre-Louis pays.

Bonne chance! says the taxi driver.

Thanks, says Pierre-Louis. 

Remember your frogs, says the taxi driver.

Frogs? says Pierre Louis. I thought Arthur had them.

They're on the back seat in a lunch box, says the taxi driver.

He rolls down the back window. 

Pierre-Louis reaches in and picks up the lunch box.

A crisis averted.

They enter the terminal and join a long queue.

At least we don't have bikes to worry about, says Pierre-Louis. I hadn't thought about flat packs.

Me either, says Arthur. But Belle will do it.

Have you called her? asks Pierre-Louis.

Hold the lunch box, says Arthur.

He gets out his phone.

Arthur? says Belle. What is it?

Hi, says Arthur. Can you do me a favour?

Maybe, says Belle. 

I left my bike outside the Crêperie Bretonne, says Arthur. 

And? says Belle.

I was wondering if you could pick it up when you get to Paris, says Arthur.

It'll have been stolen, says Belle.

The waiter has probably locked it up somewhere, says Arthur.

Probably, says Belle. Okay, I'll see what I can do. Do you want to speak to Terence?

No, says Arthur.

He wants to speak to you, says Belle.

Okay, says Arthur. Put him on.

Guess what? says Terence. My pony ride is tomorrow.

Lucky you, says Arthur. Have you practised?

No, says Terence. How can I?

Sit on something high, says Arthur. And try to stay on.

Okay, says Terence.

Wait, says Arthur, tell Belle I'm sending her a poem.

Do you LOVE her? asks Terence.

No, says Arthur. It's about Montparnasse. And your frogs are in it. 

Yay! says Terence.

And tell her the waiter wrote it, says Arthur.

Why? asks Terence. 

I've got to go, says Arthur. Just tell her.

Okay, says Terence. Good bye.

Arthur did have to go, due to a problem.

The frogs have gone through the scanner, in the lunch box, and Pierre-Louis is being questioned by a bio-security officer.


No comments: