Saturday, May 20, 2023

All Disappearing

So you see, the answer to the question ' Can you name this animal?' is 'I can', says Gaius.

So possum means 'I can', says Dad Possum.

Exactly, says Gaius. It's the first person singular form of posse in Latin.

Inspirational, says Dad Possum. But not overly funny.

It helps if you show a picture of a possum, says Gaius. Then ask the question.

What if they say 'possum?' asks Ma Possum.

Then they have answered correctly, says Gaius.

But what if they didn't know Latin? asks Ma Possum.

Then you have to explain it, says Gaius. 

Not to me, says Terence. I already knew it was funny.

You did, says Gaius. You laughed straight away.

Did you have a picture of a possum? asks Terence. 

I called one up on my phone, says Gaius. 

You could have showed them our movie, says Terence.

Is it finished? asks Banjo. Can we see?

Yes, says Terence. It stopped when they both broke their pencils. Which wasn't meant to happen.

Perhaps you can redo the ending, says Gaius. 

We haven't time, says Ma Possum. We're behind in our schedule already.

Ma! says Banjo. At least can we see it?

If it's quick, says Ma Possum.

Terence plays back the movie.

Squattu, coming backwards out of the hollow.

Banjo, Ma snd Dad Possum emerging.

All disappearing.

A long view of the entrance to the hollow, for about sixty seconds.

Zip! The sound of someone opening a back pack, the rattle of pencils.

The voice of Terence, saying 'Start!'.

Dad Possum's head and the tip of a pencil. 

Ma Possum's head and the tip of a second pencil.

Clash clash.

More clashing, two snaps.

The end.

Terence is disappointed.

The drone should have been lower, to capture the action, says Pierre-Louis.

I know! says Terence. Stupid drone.

Never mind, says Gaius. At least you have footage of the possums coming out of the hollow. As for the so-called action, it's a-typical.

It was meant to be funny, says Dad Possum. Like your joke.

Point taken, says Gaius. I don't suppose you'd allow us to follow you on your nightly forage? I mean with the drone.

No, says Ma Possum. It would alert the invertebrates.

Or get stuck in a tree, says Dad Possum.

That's my job, says Squattu. To make sure it doesn't.

A bat can't come hunting with possums, says Dad Possum.

Can she wait at the entrance and film your return? asks Pierre-Louis.

We'll be ages, says Ma Possum. But she can if she wants to.

Squatty wants to, says Terence.

Can I stay? asks Banjo.

Possum, says Dad Possum.

That means I can! says Banjo.

No, says Gaius. What your dad said was 'I can', not 'you can'.

What's 'you can'? asks Dad Possum.

Potes, says Gaius. It's irregular.

I'll stick with possum, says Dad Possum.


No comments: