Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Scratching Not Pointing

That was a rubbish surprise, says Terence.

Banjo was here, says Gaius. 

Scared off by the park ranger, says Pierre-Louis.

Or a rubbish trick, says Terence. 

It wasn't a trick, says Gaius. It was a Leadbeater's possum who called himself Banjo.

My friend Banjo? says Terence. From Yelly-bo? How did he get here?

He didn't. It's not him, says Gaius.

You said it was, says Terence.

He has the same name, says Gaius. And it's not the coincidence it seems.

Are they cousins? asks Terence.

Not even cousins, says Gaius. Squattu mentioned Banjo to the family of possums who live at the top of this tree.

Possums with no names, says Pierre-Louis. 

Except Banjo, says Terence. 

The young one adopted the name, says Gaius. Now if we're quiet, Banjo may come down again. He wants to meet you.

Woop! says Terence. A fake Banjo.

Banjo had been creeping down the trunk of the tree, getting closer. 

So this is Terence. Claw, gecko shorts, no side curls. And rude.

Hello, I'm Banjo, says Banjo.

Not the real one, says Terence.

How did you get your name? asks Banjo.

Terence doesn't remember.

You're named after Terence, the Roman playwright, says Gaius. And now you can see Banjo's point.

He doesn't have a point, says Terence.

Terence and Terence. Banjo and Banjo, says Banjo.

Okay, says Terence. But that's more like a square.

You're smart, says Banjo. And I like your claw. How did you get it?

From my blood brother, says Terence. He was a bristlebird. I got this, and he got my finger.

Is it useful? asks Banjo.

For scratching, says Terence. But not for pointing.

Ha ha! laughs Banjo possum. You're funny! And I like your hairstyle.

It's new, says Terence.

It's cool, says Banjo. You look like a grown up.

I know how to cut down a tree, says Terence. I was just learning.

I live in a tree, says Banjo. 

I only learned, says Terence. I didn't do it. 

Would you ever do it? asks Banjo.

Only if it was acting, says Terence.

The tree? says Banjo.

No, if I was acting, says Terence. I've been in lots of plays.

Always the same one, says Gaius. 

What's a play? asks Banjo.

When you pretend to be something, says Terence. And you pretend something's happening but it really isn't. And people pay you to watch.

What did you pretend to be? asks Banjo.

A red sheep, says Terence.

A red sheep.

Banjo can't imagine anything more glamorous.


No comments: