Sunday, May 14, 2023

Is That a Threat?

Squattu is about to exit the hollow.

See you later! says the newly named Banjo Possum.

We'll see about that, says Ma Possum.

We'll be waiting, says Squattu. If you don't turn up, I'll return with the drone.

Is that a threat? asks Dad Possum.

Of course not, says Squattu.

She flies down to where Gaius is checking the DJ1 Mini 2 for damage.

You took your time, says Pierre-Louis.

I fell asleep up there, says Squattu. It was cosy.

Cosy? says Gaius. Don't tell me you entered a hollow!

Yes, says Squattu. I entered a hollow which belonged to a family of Leadbeater's possums.

Were they home at the time? asks Gaius.

Yes, they were sleeping, says Squattu. I fell asleep myself, until the baby woke up. That woke the parents. And I discovered some interesting facts.

Indeed? says Gaius. What are they?

For one thing, they don't know they're endangered, says Squattu.

That is not uncommon, says Gaius. Go on.

They know nothing about their Yellingbo relatives, says Squattu.

Unsurprising, says Gaius. They are a different subspecies. Anything else?

They have roles, but not names, says Squattu.

Now that is interesting, says Gaius. How did you learn this?

I mentioned young Banjo, says Squattu. Perhaps I should not have.

How did they react? asks Gaius. 

Blankly, says Squattu. But the baby was inspired by the name.

It's a good name, says Gaius.

Yes it is, says Pierre-Louis.

And.... says Squattu.

Yes? says Gaius. 

He appropriated it, says Squattu. He now calls himself Banjo.

Hum, says Gaius.

I'm sorry if I've inadvertently contaminated the sample, says Squattu.

Pierre-Louis frowns.

Gaius is pleased with Squattu's understanding of the scientific method, but not sorry she failed to respect it.

These things happen, says Gaius. It could be seen as a natural intervention. After all, you are a visiting fruit bat. Are we meeting them later?

I tried to arrange it, says Squattu. But only Banjo was keen. I said if they didn't come down we'd send the drone up. 

That was a bit heavy handed, says Gaius.

I only meant.....says Squattu.

I predict they will come, says Gaius. 

Let us hope so.


No comments: