The cakes are macarons, Sweezus's favourite.
He takes a pale yellow one.
Sartre hands him a coffee and sits down in his armchair.
I was sitting there, says Simone. I just got up to let the fly out.
Let it out? says Sartre.
Of the window, says Simone.
Yeah she made it look like a butterfly, says Sweezus.
She touched it? says Sartre.
Of course I didn't touch it, says Simone. I twisted the scrap of newspaper with the dead fly inside.
You should wash your hands, says Sartre.
I shall, says Simone.
She takes a pale green macaron from the plate, and changes the subject.
Sweezus was telling me about something Arthur and Terence are doing, says Simone.
What might that be? asks Sartre.
They are on their way to visit the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, says Simone.
A pilgrimage? asks Sartre.
A rescue mission, says Sweezus.
A Sylvanian bear has been detained by the Virgin, says Simone.
Which virgin is that? asks Sartre.
Simone looks at Sweezus. Which one?
The one who dropped Terence, says Sweezus.
So this bear is a substitute for Terence, says Sartre. But why does it need to be rescued?
Yes why? says Simone. Surely Terence isn't going to offer himself in its place?
Shit no, says Sweezus. Terence hated being up there.
Was she unkind? asks Simone.
More like vacant, says Sweezus. And Terence was always in trouble from Saint Joseph.
What kind of trouble? asks Simone.
Used to chase him with his woodworking tools, says Sweezus. And whack him.
It couldn't have hurt much, says Sartre..
That's hardly the point, says Simone. I wonder if the Sylvanian bear gets the same treatment?
Yeah, never thought about that, says Sweezus.
He takes a second macaron. A pale pink one.
Help yourself, cheri, says Simone.
He has, says Sartre.
I'm surprised you're not part of this rescue mission yourself, says Simone.
Me? says Sartre.
As if you would put yourself out to rescue anyone, says Simone. No, I meant him.
I would've, says Sweezus, but the boss insisted I do this interview.
What a shame, says Simone.
When have I ever not rescued anyone who needed rescuing? asks Sartre.
Never, says Simone. But that is only because....
Hey, says Sweezus, I've just had this really cool idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment