Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Appearances

Pliny, do you know an effective cure for a common headache?

Indeed, I know of several. A herb found growing on the head of a statue gathered and bound up in some part of one's garment with a red thread will presently allay a headache. Tying around one's head a piece of rope by which a man has been hanged is also most effective. My contemporary Scribonius swore by the use of an electric fish, or ray, which is also called a Torpedo. He would place the fish across the brow of the sufferer, and allow it to discharge.

I'll bet that worked!

Let us say that nobody complained of a headache afterwards.

But Pliny, what do you yourself do if you have a headache?

I tie a woman's breast band round my head.

And how does that work exactly?

A powerful female magic exudes from the garment and all care is banished.

Do you think it would work for me, if, say, I used my own garment?

Of course, but many people nowadays prefer to take paracetamol, as they do not wish to look foolish.

No comments: