Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hard Words

What is the English word for the feeling you experience when someone is going on about something of no possible interest to anyone but themselves? asked Pliny the Elder.

Tedium, I replied, falling into his trap.

That is a Latin word, he replied. I am not surprised there is no English word for it. May I now continue with my exposition of the magpie?

Please do, I said.

The magpie, he began, is unremarkable in looks, but remarkable in this, that certain of them can be taught to speak most distinctly. These are said to be magpies that feed on acorns, and have five toes upon each foot. They show a great affinity for words and love to utter them. If a word is not repeated their memory fails, and when they hear the word again they exhibit great joy. If they find themselves unable to master a hard word, however, they will die of grief.

Is that it? I asked. I must say that was admirably succinct.

No, he said, avoiding my trap. There is more.

Go on, I urged. I'm sure it cannot possibly be tedious.

Indeed, he went on. This too is something most remarkable. It is the way they move their eggs if they think someone is watching their nest. They place a twig across 2 of their eggs and attach it with glue from their stomach. Then they put their neck under the twig and carry the eggs away, balancing them on either side.

Pliny, I said, what is the Latin word for when someone seems to be pulling your leg?

There isn't one, he said severely.



No comments: