Friday, January 30, 2009

Fish to Fry

Here comes Pliny the Elder with a very red face. What's up Pliny? Where have you been?

Pliny the Elder: I do not know. You have been excluding me for the last few days for reasons that are unknown to me.

Me: It's been very hot, and I've had other fish to fry.

Pliny the Elder: O that is most amusing. Were they perchance named Gwendolen, or Bob?

Me: Are you angry or are you hot?

Pliny the Elder: I am irate.

Me: Why?

Pliny the Elder: I have been reading your excuses for blogs and have come to the conclusion that you are too content to be vague, and that you do not do enough research for the subjects that you choose. For example, what species of tiny bird was it that fell out of what species of tree at your son's house yesterday? And surely you could have resolved whether the fish in question was Gwendolen or a Bob by the expedient of checking your diary.

Me: Pliny, my vagueness is part of my charm. As for you, you are my counterbalance, for you do enough research for the 2 of us in my opinion.

Pliny the Elder: A delightful answer. Yes, I do feel rather hot. Let us have some of your home brewed lager.

No comments: