Monday, January 12, 2009

Not the Seleucis Avis

Pliny the Elder is banned from writing about kites. I have just had a look at his notes. First of all he has misremembered the name, which is milvus lineatus, not seleucis avis. Secondly he was going to write this:

Kites are of the same genus as hawks but are smaller. They are rapacious birds that feed on carrion. Though they are always hungry they do not steal food at funerals or when it is offered to the gods. Kites do not normally drink and it is a direful augury if one does so.

I was sceptical. Pliny, I said, do you mean to say that these birds can tell the difference beween an offering and the leavings from a picnic? Do you think that they have some sort of religious sensibility or what? And surely it stretches the bounds of credibility that a bird would not normally drink?

Indeed these things seem very strange, he agreed, and I do not even know that they are true. I merely record reports of wonders that come to my attention.

Do you? I said. And where did these ones come from?

Mmmm.... he mumbled. A Medieval Bestiary, I think.

But Pliny, that must have been well after your time!

Well after! he huffed, but naturally they were quoting me.

No comments: