Monday, March 1, 2010

Ah, the French

So, The VeloDrone has a cold, observed Pliny the Elder. I suppose that means he will be out of action for a few days. Maybe someone else can get a look in.

Oh? I said. Why? Do you have something to say?

I do, said Pliny, and it is something that you may find interesting. I myself have recently attended a Festival event.

Really! How did you afford it?

I have money, sniffed Pliny. But this event was free.

Was it the Festival opening? I asked. At the Victoria Park Racecourse?

Yes, said Pliny. And very spectacular it was. Seventy thousand people were there.

So I've heard, I said. Tell me about it.

It was dark, began Pliny. Everyone was sitting on the grass looking towards the trees. Children were amusing themselves playing with multicoloured luminous rings. There were several loud bangs. Suddenly an Alchemist appeared carrying a bucket of fire. He approached a giant tower at the top of which was a huge cauldron. He climbed the tower and set the cauldron alight. Soon there were sparks and fireballs shooting up into the sky. Three mysterious musicians played infernal music from the top of dark towers. Fireworks shot up behind the trees and smoke filled the air. Men on stilts walked the earth with gigantic catherine wheels shooting spinning sparkling brilliants all around their heads.......

Sounds dangerous, I said.

They were French, he replied.

No comments: