Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pliny's Haiku

Pliny the Elder is looking as though he hasn't had much sleep.

Good morning Pliny? I say. How's the Haiku coming along?

It's more difficult than I expected, he answers wearily. I have made multiple attempts to better your Haiku.

Read them out, I say, encouragingly.

Alright, here is my first attempt:

the sign on the path
reads no boats allowed in the yellow areas
which is amusing

Pliny! that's no good. You don't say why it's amusing, and no one would guess.

I know, says Pliny. I told you it was my first attempt. Here is my second:

surely this sign
would be better directed
at boats ?

Hmm. That doesn't do it either, Pliny. You don't explain what the sign says.

True, says Pliny. But stay with me. I'm just letting you in on the creative process. Here is my third attempt:

what is the point
of facing a sign directed at vessels
inland?

That's a bit better, but it doesn't sound very poetic, and it still leaves out a lot. What the sign says, what colour it is.....

Exactly, says Pliny. I came to the realization late last night that English is not the best language for Haiku. And since I am unfamiliar with Japanese, I decided to write one in Latin. I think you will agree that I have succeeded rather well.

Go on.

Pliny stands up and declaims in his best Roman style:

naves non licet ( boats not allowed )
in regione flava ( in the yellow area )
non ante naves ( not facing the boats )

I am silent.

Why are you silent?

I'm silent with admiration Pliny. That is so Japanese! You've got everything in. It's mind-boggling. You've even got the correct number of syllables!

Yes, says, Pliny. I know. Thank you.

No comments: