Friday, March 26, 2010

Mysterious Encounter - Part 3

Here we are now, I say to Pliny. This is the third poem, which I wrote a week later on the 20th of June 2009. Pliny? Are you listening?

Yes, says Pliny. I am listening.

I read aloud:

The Continuing Adventure of Old Mr Sherlock Holmes.

I saw him again last night
In the same dark place,
But I had misremembered Toby,
Who was brown, with a black face.
The old man was the same
Slow, twisted and lame.
I spoke to him this time: Hello! Perhaps too loud.
He turned towards me,
Straining to see,
And bowed.



Hah! says Pliny, that still doesn't prove.......

Wait, I reply. There is a second part.

A second part! Are you by any chance stringing me along?

No, certainly not. There is a second part, with a separate title. Pay attention, because it contains a revelation:

Old Mr. Holmes Muses by the Fire.

You know Toby old chap,
Sometimes I think I see
On winter evenings,
Walking,
The woman, and even he.
Tonight I was almost sure
I heard her voice
Say Good evening Holmes, to me.
I strained my eyes
But nothing palpable
Could I see.
And you Toby,
Seemed to be
Sniffing around the wrong tree.

Remarkable! says Pliny. I am impressed. This does indeed seem to prove that he was Sherlock Holmes. But who is the woman?

Pliny! I say, crossly, haven't you understood anything?

No comments: