Monday, December 20, 2010

The Miracle

So Mr Wittgenstein, said Belle at Bonne, you study language-games?

A dog may expect his master, said Wittgenstein. But a dog cannot expect it's master next Wednesday.

I see, said Belle et Bonne sagely. It is because the dog does not have language.

But the dog may expect his master when it is next Wednesday, said Saint Nicholas.

Certainly, said Wittgenstein, but today, he cannot expect his master next Wednesday.

I think we all agree on that, said Belle et Bonne. I do hope Uncle David gets here soon. We need to talk about the bumper Christmas edition. Saint Nicholas has agreed to write something for us, haven't you Saint Nicholas?

I have indeed, said Saint Nicholas. I am looking forward to it.

We thought that since it was to be a Christmas edition, the topic ought to have something to do with Christmas, as well as the requisite philosophy and bicycles, said Belle et Bonne.

My story does not actually include a bicycle, said Saint Nicholas. And it doesn't really have to do with Christmas, except that I am in it. I suppose however that it could be regarded as philosophical as it involves a miracle, performed by me.

That is highly unsatisfactory, said Wittgenstein.

No no, said Belle et Bonne. He is right that if he is in it, it is by definition Christmassy. As to the bicycle, it it always possible to fit one in the story somewhere.

I meant the miracle, said Wittgenstein.

No comments: