Monday, December 27, 2010

Old Meatworks

Walking downhill towards the lower track they found themselves looking at the opposite hillside. It was covered in prickly brown bushes. At the top, against the skyline, was a series of joined-together structures.

What do you think that is? asked Saint Nicholas.

A ruin, said Wittgenstein. Lets climb up and see.

Alright, said Saint Nicholas.

I say, he added, after a while, do you get the feeling that we are not behaving consistently with our characters?

Yes, said Wittgenstein, I do. Perhaps it is because we are on holiday.

I hope that is all it is, said Saint Nicholas, as he continued trudging upwards through the prickles.

I feel, said Wittgenstein, as though we are going through the motions of things that have already happened in the lives of others.

So do I, said Saint Nicholas. And I don't like it. I wonder if I can still do miracles? Shall I try one?

Yes, try one. Whisk us up to the top of the hill, said Wittgenstein.

Saint Nicholas whisked them up to the top of the hill.

They found themselves inside a compound surrounded by a high fence topped with barbed wire.

This is an old meatworks, said Wittgenstein, reading a sign. It's horrible, can you get us out?

You may have to wait, said Saint Nicholas. I can't do continuous whisking. Look! There are some people over there.

I hope they are not terrorists, said Wittgenstein.

They aren't, said Saint Nicholas. They are playing paintball. And if I'm not mistaken one of them is our old friend Professor Freud!

No comments: