Sunday, December 26, 2010

Wittgenstein Wants to Have Fun

That isn't what I meant, said Wittgenstein. The poem is by William Blake. It's about a little lamb, not a little gull.

I know that, said Saint Nicholas. I was playing one of your language-games. Two of them in fact.

What were they? asked Wittgenstein.

In the first one I substituted gull for lamb in a poem, and the second was a deliberate misunderstanding, where I pretended I thought you were talking about the sandwich filling rather than the poem.

Very crass, said Wittgenstein. Please don't do it any more. I'm trying to forget work for a while. Let's go for a walk.

They walked inland, hoping to avoid the wind. They reached a river bank and crossed over a bouncing bridge. Then they followed a little-used trail up the side of a hill. The trail was lined with leg-scratching weeds.

Ouch! said Saint Nicholas. I knew I shouldn't have worn my shorts. Where are we anyway ?

I don't know, said Wittgenstein. But here's a sign.

What does it say? asked Saint Nicholas.

Caution, read Wittgenstein, in a ranger-like voice. This area is subject to seasonal change and trail collapse. In some places there is no trail or the trail has collapsed.

I don't much like the sound of that, said Saint Nicholas.

I do, said Wittgenstein. Come on. Are you with me?

They proceeded along the narrow prickly trail for a short distance, until they were forced to stop, the trail having collapsed.

A number of excited ants began to crawl over their shoes and up their legs. Wittgenstein and Saint Nicholas stamped their feet and jumped up and down. Then they turned and hurried back towards the river.

That was no fun, said Saint Nicholas.

Yes it was, said Wittgenstein. That was fun. Now, what shall we do next?

No comments: