Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Wonderful World of Dogs

Do my eyes deceive me? asked Pliny the Elder. Are you reading The Wonderful World of Dogs?

I am, I replied. I am reading The Wonderful World of Dogs.

It isn't your usual fare, observed Pliny. What made you choose it?

It's a Christmas gift for someone who loves dogs. I decided to read it myself though, to see if it was too schmaltzy.

And is it too schmaltzy? asked Pliny.

I don't really know, I said. I haven't read any other books about dogs. This one is full of short stories by different people about dogs they have owned or have heard of.

Well, are you enjoying it? asked Pliny. I suppose that is the more important question.

In parts, I said. Most of the stories are tedious, about dogs that are naughty or good, or get lost or are found, or die or do not die although the owner expected them to.

Tell me about one that you like, said Pliny.

I like the historical one about Gelert, the Irish Wolf Hound, the famous hunting dog of Prince Llewelyn the Great. He was loyal and good at hunting. After Llewelyn became a father, Gelert transferred his loyalty to Llewelyn's baby son, Gruffudd. The two were inseparable.

That's nice, said Pliny.

But one day Prince Llewelyn came home from hunting and went in to look at his son. The cot was overturned there was blood on the floor and dripping from the jaws of Gelert. Gruffudd was nowhere to be seen. Llewlyn roared in dismay, drew his sword and slew Gelert.

Dreadful! said Pliny.

Then he heard a faint cry. He turned and saw little Gruffudd snuffling away unhurt in the corner, and under him was a dead wolf!

Heavens! said Pliny. So Gelert hadn't done it!

No. On the contrary, he had saved little Gruffudd' s life. Prince Llewelyn was sorry. He took the expiring Gelert in his arms. Gelert licked his face and then died. He was buried with great honour at Beddgelert.

I see why you like that story, said Pliny. High drama in the tragic mode.

Yes, that's what I like, I agreed. And a happy ending as well.

No comments: