Friday, June 17, 2011

Gustave goes Off

Gillian Cosgriff walked on to the stage in a short red dress and sat down at the piano to sing. She was young and pretty, with a strong clear voice and an engaging stage presence. She had written most of the songs herself. She sang of being a waitress and being rejected for parts in musicals. She sang of Jasper who could not commit to a relationship. She charmed everyone, including Gaius, Gustave, the plump lady and the elderly row in front.

Gustave laughed when the plump lady laughed, but not quite as loud. Gaius could not take his eyes from Miss Gillian Cosgriff.

At times the stage was illuminated by a suspension of glittering stars. Starstruck, Gaius dreamed he was Jasper singing I Love You to Miss Gillian Cosgriff, rather than I Love Eu....rope and I Love U....niversity as Jasper had done. The failings of Jasper did not strike Gaius as comic in the least.

In no time the show was over. The plump lady stood up and melted away.

Thank god for that, said Gustave. I am free.

What do you mean, asked Gaius, waking up from his dream.

I mean, said Gustave, that I am in love wth Miss Gillian Cosgriff, and I am off tout suite to the stage door to beg her to become my mistress!

No comments: