Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Delights of Cycling

My fault? said Gaius. What is my fault?

Talking about the music hall Violetta, with no arms and legs. No wonder she legged it.

Yes that was unfortunate, said Gaius.

It was! said Gustave, crossly. You have spoiled my intrigue with Violetta. She had suggested some sort of combination.

Nonsense, said Gaius. She merely wants to ride with us tomorrow and then show us something interesting. I wonder what it can be?

If she turns up in lycra, I know what it will be, said Gustave.

Tch!, said Gaius.

The next morning they met at Cibo's in Norwood. Violetta was wearing baggy shorts, and a loose fitting sweater, and wheeling a bicycle.

Is that your bicycle? asked Gustave.

Yes, is there something wrong with it? asked Violetta.

No, no, said Gustave. Only it isn't exactly a racing bicycle.

Don't you worry about that, said Violetta. I ride fast. And wait till you see what's in my wicker basket.

What? asked Gaius.

Later, said Violetta.

They drank their coffees and set off down The Parade, Gaius and Gustave trying hard to keep up with Violetta, who soon disappeared out of sight.

We've lost her, puffed Gaius. Now we'll never know what was in her wicker basket.

I'm beginning not to care, said Gustave, breathing hard.

Just then Violetta appeared, looking stern.

Just as I thought, she said. You two are not serious. Let us repair to a park bench and start on my picnic. After that, we are going to look at some graffiti!

Picnic! cried Gaius. How civilised !

Graffiti! said Gustave. How.....random.

No comments: