Wednesday, June 22, 2011

SPLOSH

Gaius and Gustave were looking forward to Violetta's picnic. They wondered what sort of food she would have in her basket. Would it be ham and cheese sandwiches, mandarins, lemon squash? Would it be pate de fois gras, baguettes, cold chicken, champagne?

They stopped at a bench under a tree in the Botanical Gardens. Violetta lifted the lid of her wicker basket.

Inside was an assortment of spray paint cans, stencils and marker pens, and three black woolly balaclavas.

Where's the food? asked Gaius?

Team Bumptious has no need of food, said Violetta. I'm going to introduce you to the thrilling and subversive art of speed graffiti, using stencils. My street name is SPLOSH! I'm sure you'll have heard of me.

No, we haven't said Gustave. And there will be no speed graffiti using stencils until we've had lunch.

Hear hear, said Gaius. And maybe not then.

Come on boys, said SPLOSH!, persuasively. Graffiti is the best. Its a rush. It's the shit.

No, said Gaius. I disapprove of the defacing of public property. And so does Gustave.

Not entirely, said Gustave. Being a novelist, my opinion varies with my point of view.

That's what I like to hear, said SPLOSH! Right, boys. We WILL get some lunch. That'll put you in a better mood. Then I'll take you up the road to the Samstag Museum, to look at the May Lane Street Art Project travelling graffiti exhibition.

Good, said Gustave. I mean, lunch is good. Are you paying?

SPLOSH! never pays, said Violetta. Now, where are you taking us?

No comments: