Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Don't Think it's True

You're in luck, said Gaius. It happens that I found a tin of biscuits on the beach this evening.

Baby Pierre and Lavender looked at one another.

It's Ageless's tin of yam biscuits, said Lavender.

Yam biscuits! said Anoctopus. Let me try one.

He took a tiny yam biscuit from the tin with one of his tentacles and inserted it carefully into his beak.

Ahuchhghh, he said, trying to swallow the crumbs without choking. Anyone else want one?

No thanks, said everyone else.

Well, I'll get on with the story, said Anoctopus:

The octopus was becoming more and more like a man. He said to the woman, let's go and visit my brothers in law. What's happened to my octopus? said the woman. They went to visit the brothers in law.

One day the octopus went out to sea. He made a big mistake and picked a fight with a whale. The whale killed him.

The woman went back to the sea to visit the octopus's relatives. A short time after that she died.

When the young octopuses grew big they decided to get their revenge. They went into the sea looking for the whale. They fought the whale and killed it. They killed it for their mother's brothers.

After that they went back to the sea for good and their uncles never saw them again.

That's the end.

Anoctopus looked at his audience. So, what did you think of my story?

You said it was true, said Lavender. I don't think it's true.

Neither do I, said Baby Pierre. Octopuses don't turn into men. They don't cook seals by lying on them.

What about you? said Anoctopus, looking at Gaius.

I should like to hear why you claim it is true, said Gaius.

Aha, said Anoctopus. You are no fool. I'll be happy to tell you the reason.




No comments: