Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Or Was It The Day Before?

Francine went over to the kiosk.

Are you selling penguin pies? she asked.

Of course not, said the man behind the counter. There aren't enough penguins here as it is. They're protected, you know.

Well my friend is eating one right now, said Francine.

Then I'm calling the police, said the man.

Francine walked back to the table. Gaius had finished his pie.

You've eaten the evidence, said Francine.

What evidence? asked Gaius.

Of your crime, said Francine. Possessing and eating a pie containing a protected species.

It was a joke, said Gaius. Have you no sense of humour?

Some joke, if it was a joke, said Francine. So you were just trying to avoid sharing your pie?

Yes, said Gaius. I was hungry.

You could have said so, said Francine. Now the police are involved.

Good heavens! What shall I do? said Gaius. My reputation will be in tatters.

Don't worry, said Sweezus. I'll take the blame. I don't have a reputation.

But why do it? asked Camus.

I'm exploring nihilism, said Sweezus. What does it matter? Why should I care? Mother died yesterday, or was it the day before? That sort of thing.

Good for you, said Camus.

What's this about your mother? asked Gaius.

Nothing, said Sweezus. Ask Camus.

No comments: