Sunday, September 18, 2011

Absurdism and the Weather

Later that evening, over Kentucky Fried Chicken in the Camus family apartment, they quizzed Camus on his philosophy.

What did you mean by life's absurdities? asked Sweezus.

I used the term quite loosely, said Camus, taking another helping of mashed potato and gravy from a cardboard bowl. I say this really is disgusting.

Have some chips then, Albert, said Francine. If you don't mind that the twins have covered them in sauce.

Thanks, said Camus. Now where was I? Yes, I am a proponent of Absurdism. By that I mean to say that life itself is meaningless. Or rather that the human mind cannot comprehend it.

Awesome, said Sweezus. I sometimes think that too, when the weather's bad.

Absurdism has nothing to do with the weather, said Camus.

I think you'll find it does, said Sweezus. What do you think Gaius?

The weather? said Gaius. What on earth are you talking about? And what is Absurdism but a load of modern nonsense? My philosophy is a simple one, but indisputable. All excess is bad. For example, having chips AND mashed potato at dinner.

That was unavoidable, said Francine. The cardboard mashed potato comes free with the Kentucky Fried Chicken.

That's no excuse, said Gaius. Why then did you order chips?

It really isn't your affair, said Francine. But the children like them.

Just then the children came running up to Sweezus.

Come and play Fairy Penguins, Uncle Sweezus! cried Catherine.

Yes, come and play! said Jean.

Alright, said Sweezus, standing up and waddling off behind them.

No comments: