Sunday, September 11, 2011

What It Was

Wait a minute, said Gaius. Did you say The Arrival?

Yes, said Anoctopus. Do you understand why that was funny?

Of course I do, said Gaius. Humour is never lost on me. But the reason I was asking is that if The Arrival is on then the OzAsia Festival must have begun.

So what? said Anoctopus.

I'll have to think of leaving, said Gaius. I need to go home and put the finishing touches to my Moon Lantern.

But you haven't heard my story about the Krakatoans, said Anoctopus. You can't go yet. I'm free to talk again now.

Too bad, said Gaius. Perhaps the others will stay. I'm sure they'd like to hear about the Krakatoans.

No we wouldn't! said Lavender. We want to come to the Moon Lantern Parade with you.

Speak for yourself, Lavender, said Baby Pierre.

Oh, good! said Anoctopus. Do you want to stay, Baby Pierre?

No, said Baby Pierre. I just like to make my own decisions.

You've told us lots of interesting stories, Anoctopus, said Gaius. Perhaps we'll meet again some day and hear about the Krakatoans. But now we have to go.

What about me? said Anoctopus. Are you going to leave me here in this bucket?

Is it stinky? asked Lavender, sniffing at the bucket. You've been in it an awful long time.

No need to be rude, said Anoctopus. Tip me back into the sea will you?

Gaius picked up the bucket and tipped Anoctopus back into the sea.

With a slippery splash Anoctopus disappeared into the black depths of the sea underneath the jetty.

Come on, said Gaius. Let's go back to my house. You can both help me with my Moon Lantern.

Our quest is over, isn't it, said Lavender.

Yes, said Baby Pierre, with a sigh. It's over. Do you know, Lavender, I can't even remember what it was.

No comments: