Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Flux And Sockets; Duty Calls

The baguettes have all been eaten and the coffee drunk. An elegaic silence falls upon the party.

I suppose we should be going, says David.

Good! So you're done with Scotland, says Vello. It's none too soon for me.

I meant the cafe, says David. Not the country. But you're right, my friend. We can't stay here for ever. We must go home. Duty calls.

Have you heard from Sweezie lately? says Belle et Bonne.

Not a peep, says Vello. I wouldn't be surprised if he's forgotten he's supposed to be in charge.

Is that Sweezus you're talking about? asks Rosie. Sweezus the tweeter?

No, says Vello. It's the Sweezus who works for us. He's written a few articles for our magazine Velosophy.

It might be your Sweezus the tweeter, Rosie, says Belle et Bonne. Papa has no idea.

Sweezus is cool, says Rosie. He tweets amazing things about he moon. I'm a follower.

Good for you, says Belle et Bonne. Can't say I am.

Nor me, says Arthur. What's a tweeter?

Don't you know? says Rosie. Oh I forgot. You haven't even got a mobile phone.

Arthur is piqued. He gets up to leave.

He will go back to the park where he has left his bicycle, sit on a park bench and observe people. He will then obtain by one means or another, a mobile phone. That is his plan.

See you around, says Arthur. Off he goes.

............

Go after him Ageless, whispers Belle et Bonne. He might get into trouble.

No, says Ageless. I have a tummy ache.

He crawls into Belle's backpack.

Get out, Ageless! says Kobo. You stink of crab.

..........

Back at the hotel, Vello and David are packing.

Belle comes into their room.

You might want to get an earlier flight, says Belle et Bonne. I've just heard from Sweezie. Everything's gone cactus at the office. Unni's run away. David, what's the matter?

He's just heard from Katherine, says Vello.

Bad news? says Belle.

No, not bad news, says David. Mother wants some sockets. I cannot for the life of me think why.


No comments: