Friday, September 27, 2013

In Search Of The Entelognathus

Look! The Barney Buttery Half Peny, says Arthur, holding it up.

So what's Ann got? says Rosie. A pound?

No, says Arthur, she must have my gold coin, the last one.

Shall I call her? says Rosie. I could.

No, says Arthur. Let her stew. Serves her right.

But that leaves you out of pocket, says Rosie.

Good, says Arthur. I was becoming too dependent on property. I might ditch the smart phone as well.

Wow! says Rosie. You are awesome!

It means I can't buy you a hat, says Arthur.

You weren't going to, says Rosie.

True, says Arthur.

Anyway, I'm going to make one, says Rosie. Help me look for feathers.

They look in the grass for feathers. But don't find a single one.

Was it you that told Gaius? says Arthur. About me and Ann?

Yes, says Rosie. I sent him a photo. It seemed kind of funny at the time. Sorry.

Doesn't matter, says Arthur.

He's thinking of going to China, says Rosie.

China? says Arthur. How do you know?

We communicate about natural history, says Rosie. Didn't I tell you? I send him bird lists, and stuff about wolds.

Like that they're made of chalk, scoffs Arthur. He would have already known that.

He did, says Rosie. He replied and told me all about drainage, and flat bottomed glacial valleys. It was so cool. That's how people learn.

Why is he going to China? says Arthur.

To look at the Entelognathus, says Rosie. Whatever that is. He did tell me.

I might cut this trip short. says Arthur. If he's going to China. I might take the train back to London and get an earlier flight....

No need to, says Rosie. He's not taking you. He's taking two women.

Arthur doesn't believe it. Gaius, taking two women?

No comments: