Monday, September 16, 2013

It's Midnight Where You Are

Where to next? asks Rosie.

Arthur consults his smart phone.

Thirsk, says Arthur. It's somewhere in Yorkshire.

I've heard of Thirsk, says Rosie. That's where James Herriot lived.

Huh? says Arthur.

You know! says Rosie. The VET! He wrote all those sitcoms. My grandma watched them.

Sitcoms? says Arthur. A vet?

Don't pretend, says Rosie. I know you like animals

What makes you think that? says Arthur.

Your awful lobster friend, says Rosie. And that pelican.

That wasn't a pelican, says Arthur. It was a stained glass window. That reminds me, I need Gaius's number.

He calls Sweezus.

Brrring Brrring.

Arthur! says Sweezus. Geez, man! It's the middle of the night!

Not where I am, says Arthur.

What's up? says Sweezus. You in trouble?

No, says Arthur. What's Gaius's number? I have to send him a picture.

I'll text it to you, says Sweezus. Arthur, you dickhead.. How'll I get back to sleep now? Where are you?

Just heading to Thirsk, says Arthur. It's in Yorkshire.

Thirsk, says Sweezus. That's where James Herriot lived.

The vet, says Arthur.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Great writer. Go see his house. It's a museum.

Just send me Gaius's number, says Arthur, ending the call.

What picture are you sending? says Rosie. The pelican?

Yes, says Arthur. He pulls the postcard out of his pocket and shows it to Rosie.

Is that blood? says Rosie.

She's feeding her children, says Arthur.

Not that blood, says Rosie. This brown stuff on the back! Looks like spidery writing, in blood.

Let's see it, says Arthur, turning over the postcard.

He frowns at the spidery writing.

So that was what the vicar wanted.

Pity.

He can't go back now.


No comments: