Thursday, September 12, 2013

It's No Good Asking What Happened

Far out! says Sweezus, putting the phone down.

Who was it? says Belle et Bonne.

Arthur, says Sweezus. He said I don't, then there was this thud.

I don't? says Belle et Bonne. A thud?  Sweezie, call him straight back!

And heavy breathing, says Sweezus. Like something was going on.

What's his number? says Belle.

Don't know, says Sweezus. He called the landline. How does that even work?

Give it here, says Belle. She presses some buttons. Calls Arthur's number.

Ring ring.

But there is no reply.

He's in trouble, I knew it, says Belle et Bonne. Do we know where he is?

Brampton, says Sweezus. In Cumbria.

Right. I'm calling Rosie, says Belle. She'll know what to do.

She calls Rosie, in Edinburgh.

What's up, Belle? says Rosie. Are you home yet?

Yes, I'm home, says Belle. And Arthur's in trouble in Brampton.

She gives Rosie his number.

I'm on it, says Rosie. She gets a few things together and places them into a backpack. She takes her bicycle out of the shed.

...............

Arthur  is on his way to Barnard Castle. The vicar is flat on his back under a tree on the outskirts of Brampton.

It is no good asking what happened.

The weather is fine as Arthur approaches the town of Barnard Castle, in Durham County.

The orange shorts have almost dried out.

His phone rings.

It's Rosie.

Arthur where are you? says Rosie. I heard you're in trouble.

Trouble? says Arthur.

I'm in Brampton, says Rosie.

That's where I was, says Arthur. Watch out for the vicar.

Where are you now? says Rosie.

Nearly to Barnard Castle, says Arthur.

Wait for me there, says Rosie.

Why? says Arthur.

I've come all this way to see you, says Rosie. Meet me at the Butter Market.

Arthur likes the sound of the Butter Market.

All right , says Arthur. I'll wait for you there.

It's good having a phone.



No comments: