Thursday, September 19, 2013

Now She Wants Him To Think

Give me your phone, says Rosie. Phil says we can recharge them inside.

Why should I give it to you? says Arthur.

You're not allowed back inside, says Rosie. But I am. Phil thinks I'm a natural historian. I was really convincing. I told him I'd written a treatise on Twitchers.

There was only one Twitcher, says Arthur.

A birdwatcher, right? says Rosie.

A giant Australian Cuttlefish, says Arthur.

Rosie looks doubtful.

Did he eat birds at all?

No, says Arthur. Why would he?

Never mind, says Rosie. Where's your phone?

How long will this take? says Arthur. I have to get going. It's a long ride to Pocklington.

Pocklington? says Rosie. You go on then, and I'll follow when our phones are recharged. We can meet up in the old market square. There's bound to be one.

I'm not waiting for you, here or there, says Arthur. I'm way behind schedule.

You'll be there, says Rosie. I guarantee I'll catch up with you in Pocklington, with your phone all charged up.

That Rosie. Now she wants him to think that she thinks he's reliable.

He'll show her.

Arthur rides away in what he hopes is the direction of Pocklington.

Rosie enters the Herriot Museum to find Phil, and to start charging the phones.

Righto, Rosamunda, says Phil Bustard. I've got the afternoon off. You've got a few hours to kill. How about I show you the moors? We can do a spot of birdwatching. Curlews, cuckoos, larks, linnets, buzzards, bullfinches.........and we might see some Twitchers, ha ha.

I very much doubt it, says Rosamunda Secunda, but I'll be happy to come just the same.

Phil locks up the Herriot Museum.

They drive off in his car.

In the quiet of the empty Museum, Arthur's phone buzzes.

The medicine bottles vibrate imperceptibly.

And nothing else happens.

No comments: