Monday, February 1, 2016

It Was Me I Must Be Ready

Now, says Gaius.  In which direction do we find Emu Bay?

Ssü-K'ung Shu realises that Gaius is looking at him expectantly.

I have no idea, says Ssü-K'ung Shu. Should we perhaps ask an emu?

You're funny, says Louisa. It's that way.

She points to the west.

Come on, Shu, says Gaius.

No, says Ssü-K'ung Shu. Not without a map, water and snacks.

I have water and snacks, says Gaius. I doubt we'll need a map.

I'll come with you, says Louisa. I know the way.

Then I don't need to go, says Ssü-K'ung Shu.

You will learn a great deal, says Gaius. You will be helping science. You will add to the debate.

These things do not concern me, says Ssü-K'ung Shu.

You could write a nice poem about it, says Louisa.

Me too, says Terence. I already have. It's about an EMU.

Emu emu hey!
buzz and blow and play
the golden trumpet
emu emu hey!
Who likes it?

I like it, says Sweezus. But it's not much about an emu.

It's so cute, though, says Louisa. Tell you what, Terence:

On the way
To Emu Bay
I will teach you
How to play
Emu emu hey!

How inventive! says Gaius. Our journey will be made more pleasant with the addition of trumpet lessons and occasional snatches of poetry.

Ssü-K'ung Shu can't believe Gaius really thinks that.

He wonders what Arthur thinks. Arthur, a true poet, like himself.

Arthur is scratching at a knee scab, with the Swiss Army knife.

Come on Arthur, says Sweezus. We'd better get going. Which way to Hanson Bay?

That way, says Louisa. It's on the other side of the island at the western end. It'll take you hours and hours.

Cool, says Sweezus. See you in a couple of days, guys.

He and Arthur ride off with their surfboards and their backpacks full of beer and snacks.

I'll just go home and get my bike, says Louisa. Wait here. Terence, hold my trumpet.

Terence has one more go at blowing. Pzzzzzzz!

Hey-fantastico! A buzzing sound comes out!

Was that you? asks Louisa, when she comes back on her bicycle.

Yes, says Terence proudly:

It was me
I must be ready
For lesson three.

Ssü-K'ung Shu groans. This trip is going to be very tedious.

Gaius, Ssü-K'ung Shu, Louisa and Terence (who is in Louisa's basket, with the trumpet ) pedal out of Penneshaw in the direction of Emu Bay.

Followed by a mysterious hooded figure on a heavy bicycle, which looks like.....could it be?....... a retro Chinese Flying Pigeon?

No comments: